Looking for an efficient way to screen potential tenants? The online rental application form is perfect for real estate agents and companies who want to simplify their application process.
By using this form, you can easily collect essential information from prospective renters, verify their employment and income, and gather references to assess their suitability for your property. Transform your rental application process with this comprehensive list of questions.
Tired of chasing people to fill out your forms? Try Content Snare
Questions to include on your online rental application form
1. Personal Information
Collecting personal information is essential to verify the applicant's identity and contact information.
- Full Name
- Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Current Address
2. Rental Property Information
In this section, gather information about the property the applicant is interested in renting.
- Property Address
- Desired Move-in Date
- Number of Occupants
3. Employment Information
Understanding the applicant's employment status and income is crucial to assess their ability to pay rent.
- Employer Name
- Job Title
- Employment Status (Full-Time, Part-Time, Unemployed, Self-Employed, Student, Retired)
- Monthly Income
Collecting references helps to evaluate the applicant's rental history and reliability.
- Previous Landlord's Name
- Previous Landlord's Phone Number
- Reason for Leaving Previous Residence
5. Additional Information
In this section, gather additional information to ensure the applicant meets all requirements for renting the property.
- Do you have any pets? (Yes, No)
- Have you ever been evicted? (Yes, No)
- Are you involved in any legal disputes or lawsuits that may affect your ability to fulfill the lease agreement? (Yes, No)
- Do you smoke? (Yes, No)
6. Consent and Authorization
Provide a section for the applicant to authorize the landlord or real estate agent to verify the provided information and conduct background checks.
- I authorize the landlord or real estate agent to verify the information provided in this application and perform background checks, including credit history and rental history. (Yes, No)
- Electronic Signature
- Date of Application (mm/dd/yyyy)
The electronic signature is crucial to obtain the applicant's consent to verify the information provided, conduct background checks, and ensure legal compliance.
Things to consider
- Accessibility - Ensure your form is accessible to all users, including those with disabilities, by following web accessibility guidelines, such as providing alternative text for images and using proper labels for form fields.
- Mobile Responsiveness - Optimize your form for mobile devices to make it easy for users to complete the application on their smartphones or tablets. This includes using larger fonts, touch-friendly buttons, and responsive design elements.
- Clear Instructions - Provide clear and concise instructions for each question to reduce confusion and ensure users understand what is being asked of them. This may include using placeholder text, tooltips, or short descriptions.
- Required Fields - Clearly mark required fields with an asterisk (*) or another visual indicator to inform users which questions must be answered before submitting the form. This helps reduce the likelihood of incomplete submissions.
- Field Validation - Implement real-time field validation to provide immediate feedback on invalid inputs, such as incorrect email addresses or phone numbers. This helps users correct mistakes before submitting the form and improves the overall user experience.
- Save and Resume Later - Allow users to save their progress and resume the application later. This is especially useful for longer forms, as it prevents users from losing their work in case of technical issues or interruptions.
How to create your online rental application form
Now that you know what questions you should include, it's time to build your form!
The only problem is that traditional forms tools are inefficient.
People will forget to fill out your form. They'll get stuck halfway and not be able to finish it. Or they'll send you the wrong stuff. You end up wasting hours chasing people down over email.
That's why you should give Content Snare a try.
Content Snare is packed with advanced features that will have you hours:
- Automatic reminders - Remind people to complete their form with fully customizable reminders.
- Reject incorrect information - If a single question is filled out incorrectly, ask your client to re-do just that one item.
- Autosaving - No progress gets lost. People can fill out forms in multiple sittings.
- Comments and questions - If the person filling the form gets stuck, they can ask a question without having to email you.
Give it a go by signing up for your free 14-day trial.