The bookkeeping world is constantly changing. Ecommerce platforms like Etsy, Shopify, and Amazon Marketplace make it easier than ever to start a business. As a result an increasing number of small businesses are starting up, with bookkeeping needs of their own.
So how do you stay ahead of the curve? Where do you find the information, inspiration, and tools you need to become a better bookkeeper? The answer, of course, is online.
To save you time, we’ve found 13 of the best bookkeeping websites out there. We’ve tried to cover everything you might need as a bookkeeper, including:
- Some of the best online bookkeeping services and software
- Informative blogs by industry experts
- Resource-rich websites that are full of practical tips
Best bookkeeping websites
- 5 Minute Bookkeeping
- SLC Bookkeeping
- Beginner Bookkeeping
- Blake Oliver
- The Savvy Bookkeeping Blog
- Bookkeeping Express
- FreshBooks blog
- Content Snare
Sounds good? In no particular order, here they are:
1. 5 Minute Bookkeeping
This bookkeeping gem was founded by Veronica Wasek, a CPA from Texas, USA, with a simple mission: To help bookkeepers succeed in the online world.
Veronica is a Certified QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor. She also runs a QuickBooks accounting firm that focuses on helping Shopify sellers manage their books. So, as you’d expect, 5 Minute Bookkeeping is packed with QuickBooks resources, including:
- 75+ free QuickBooks training videos
- A range of QuickBooks-related articles
- Tips and tricks
5 Minute Bookkeeping also features a blog called Bookkeeping BIZ. It covers the industry more broadly, featuring articles on how to get started in bookkeeping, best practices, and the lessons she’s learned along the way.
Great for: Bookkeepers and small business owners, particularly Shopify sellers and those who use QuickBooks.
Check out: How to record Shopify sales in QuickBooks online.
QuickBooks is the market leader for bookkeeping and accounting software, with a market share of over 27%. So it’s fair to say they know a thing or two about bookkeeping. Alongside their product offerings, their website blog is a great resource for bookkeeping. It covers the following topics:
- Supporting and managing your clients
- Scaling your bookkeeping business
- The benefits of cloud tools
- Tips for managing invoices and payroll
As you’d expect, the website is a treasure trove of useful information for anyone using QuickBooks. You can find detailed QuickBooks help articles, tutorials, and webinars, as well as an active community of users.
Great for: QuickBooks users and small business owners. That said, any bookkeeper will find the blog useful.
Check out: How to accept mobile invoices: A guide for small businesses.
3. SLC Bookkeeping
SLC Bookkeeping offers online bookkeeping services for small businesses in the US. This includes outsourced bookkeeping, financial forecasting, and consulting.
Beyond bookkeeping services, SLC’s website features an excellent blog. You’ll find plenty of helpful articles covering a wide range of bookkeeping topics, such as:
- Industry-specific bookkeeping tips, with a particular focus on hospitality
- The benefits of outsourcing your bookkeeping
- Tips on how to grow your business
SLC Bookkeeping also has a section of its website dedicated to QuickBooks tips, advice, and resources.
Great for: Small-business owners, especially those in the hospitality industry. Anyone thinking about outsourcing their bookkeeping.
Check out: 8 Bookkeeping System Necessities.
Xero is another accounting software tool that’s popular with small-business bookkeepers. Its website is packed with useful content for Xero users, including courses, guides, and a handy accounting glossary.
Then there’s the Xero blog, which covers a lot of ground related to virtual bookkeeping services. Topics include:
- The latest Xero and industry news
- Real-life bookkeeping success stories
- How tech is impacting bookkeepers and business owners
- Bookkeeping in small businesses
Great for: Xero users, or anyone interested in learning about the latest trends in the bookkeeping and accounting industry.
Check out: Five tech trends for small businesses to watch in 2023.
US-based Xendoo offers a range of online bookkeeping services designed to make life easier for small business owners. These include:
- A dedicated bookkeeper to manage your accounts
- Monthly financial statements, accessible via any device
- Tax services, including tax preparation and filing
- CFO services
Their website also has plenty of resources for bookkeepers who are keen to learn. These include an excellent blog, free calculators and eBooks, and FAQs.
Great for: Xendoo’s bookkeeping and accounting services help small businesses in eCommerce, professional services, and franchises.
Check out: How does online bookkeeping work?
Bookkeepers.com was founded by Ben Robinson, a CPA and former owner of an accounting firm. It’s an online resource that aims to empower people to set up their own virtual bookkeeping business.
As such, you can find a range of courses that cover launching, growing, and optimising a successful online bookkeeping business. There’s also a blog, covering important bookkeeping topics such as:
- How to become a bookkeeper
- Tips for productivity and processes
- Advice for small businesses
Bookkeepers.com also offers a free masterclass designed to give you the information, confidence, and skills you need to launch a bookkeeping business.
Great for: Anyone interested in becoming a bookkeeper or starting an online bookkeeping service.
Check out: How to Become a Bookkeeper in 3 Easy Steps.
7. Beginner Bookkeeping
Run by Sarah Booysen, Beginner Bookkeeping is another website aimed at bookkeepers and small businesses. It’s packed with useful information and resources for those starting out on their bookkeeping journey, including:
- Tips on bookkeeping processes, budgeting, and basic procedures
- Free forms and templates
- Bookkeeping 101, including a glossary of terms and a quiz
- Informative articles about bookkeeping basics
- How to choose the right bookkeeping software
This website is a great place to start learning about bookkeeping or to improve on existing knowledge.
Great for: Business owners, novice bookkeepers, teachers, and students
Check out: Day to Day Bookkeeping Setup and Process.
8. Blake Oliver
Blake Oliver is a CPA, accounting influencer, and podcaster. While accounting services are his bread and butter, a lot of the subjects he talks about overlap with bookkeeping as well.
His website features links to his blog as well as the Cloud Accounting Podcast, which he co-hosts. He covers a lot of ground via these channels, including:
- Accounting services, news, trends, and events
- Accounting software and technology — and its impact on the industry
- Marketing and business strategies for accountants and bookkeepers
- Leadership and productivity
Great for: Anyone wanting a bigger-picture view of what’s going on in the accounting and bookkeeping world.
Check out: 2023 Predictions for the Accounting Profession.
9. The Savvy Bookkeeping Blog
This handy blog is run by Sarina Abbott, a qualified accountant, Xero Advisor, and owner of Festival Bookkeeping. As you’d expect, it’s dedicated to all things bookkeeping, especially for small businesses and nonprofits.
The blog contains over 50 posts and counting, covering areas such as:
- General bookkeeping tips and advice
- Payroll and cash flow advice
- Bookkeeping software and tools
- Professional development
Great for: Anyone wanting to become a more savvy bookkeeper.
Check out: How to Motivate Yourself to Do Bookkeeping (Secrets from a Bookkeeper).
10. Bookkeeping Express
Bookkeeping Express offers online bookkeeping services for a range of industries. These include health and wellness, professional services, hospitality, and franchises.
Instead of handling your books yourself, you hand them over to a dedicated finance expert. They then work with popular accounting software such as QuickBooks and Xero to make the process as simple and accurate as possible. Their offering includes:
- A complete bookkeeping service
- Tax preparation services
- Tax filing services
- Payroll services
- Monthly financial reports
Even if you don’t need to outsource your bookkeeping, it’s worth checking out their blog. You’ll find tons of useful articles covering bookkeeping processes, tools, and advice.
Great for: Businesses interested in outsourcing their finances to a dedicated bookkeeper.
Check out: How to Update Accounting Books Quickly and Accurately.
Botkeeper is described as “the only automated bookkeeping solution purpose-built for accounting firms”. It’s a software platform designed to help accounting firms scale their business and save time. Its key features include:
- A transaction manager that automates basic bookkeeping tasks
- Accurate statements, with data drawn directly from customer accounts
- A password and document manager
- Business insights and analytics
The “resources and education” section of their website is also an excellent place to expand your bookkeeping knowledge. You‘ll find:
- A bookkeeping blog, eBooks, and whitepapers
- Videos, presentations, and webinars
- A knowledge base and help centre
- A range of free bookkeeping calculators
Great for: Accounting businesses looking for ways to save time and automate processes at scale.
Check out: 3 Bookkeeping Service Missteps Killing Your Firm.
12. FreshBooks blog
FreshBooks is a popular accounting software. Its blog is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to learn not only about the product but about accounting and bookkeeping as well.
Described as a place ‘where small business owners learn to thrive’, the FreshBooks Blog covers areas including:
- Invoicing and monthly expenses
- Time-tracking and projects
- Accounting and tax advice
- FreshBooks news and events
You’ll also find plenty of useful case studies and eBooks, as well as FreshBooks’ Small Business Resource Hub.
Great for: FreshBooks users, small-business owners, or self-employed professionals looking for learning resources.
Check out: How to Leverage Artificial Intelligence for Your Small Business.
13. Content Snare
While our website is not solely about bookkeeping, Content Snare is a tool that’s highly relevant for bookkeepers and accountants. It simplifies and automates the process of gathering information from clients, which is something every bookkeeper can benefit from.
In addition to everything you need to know about Content Snare, our blog provides tons of relevant advice and tips that bookkeepers will find interesting. Topics include:
- Automating time-consuming processes
- How to gather client information quickly and easily
- The best tech and tools for bookkeepers and accountants
- Tips, resources, and best practices
Great for: Bookkeepers interested in how tech can streamline their processes, especially when capturing client information.Check out: Month-end close checklist for bookkeepers.
Leave a Reply